Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy National Pie Day!

What better way to interrupt cabin fever than with pie? It makes the house smell great & warms the kitchen. It's also a tasty way to get my kids to eat more fruits & veggies! Oh yeah, pie counts as a fruit. So, we celebrated National Pie day with two pies. I found the recipe for "Humble Pie" on the King Arthur website. I used frozen peaches & blackberries, because it's what I had. Instead of dried buttermilk powder, I used plain powdered milk. It still tastes great to me.
I used my grandma's recipe for the sweet potato pie. Yes, the recipe that calls for lard in the crust. I've tried "vegetable shortening" before. Besides being totally processed & unhealthy, it makes a crappy crust. Trust me, lard in the only way to make a perfect pie crust.

No comments: